All paddlers must be current members of the Canadian Outrigger Racing Association (CORA) to have the appropriate insurance.
In addition, we comply with CORA safety guidelines & the guidelines of the Canadian Coast Guard (CCG).
All paddlers must be current members of the Delta Outrigger Kanu Association (DOKA) or be invited as a guest by a DOKA member.
All Paddlers must have read & signed the DOKA waiver and a copy of the safety guidelines before using any of the equipment or facilities.
All DOKA members must complete a medical form to leave on file at the clubhouse.
Paddlers must record their trip plan on the clubhouse whiteboard indicating: time, destination, paddler’s names and ETA.
All paddlers must have a CCG approved PFD (equipped with a whistle) From October 1st to March 31st, PFDs must be worn.
All paddlers must be able to swim.
Paddlers will check weather / water conditions before heading out.
The OC-6 & OC-1 canoes are not to go out in the event of ICE (or -5 degrees temp) or FOG (visual range less than 200 meters)
Prior to departure a safety check of the canoe will be completed ensuring that: the rigging is in good order, bailers, safety lines, lights, & whistles are in place as per the CCG regulations
Members will coordinate with other water users to minimize risk of accidents
Out of Bound Areas - (unless escorted by a support boat)
- S. Arm of Fraser River
- Beyond the Westham Is. Bridge
- From November 1st to March 1st the OC-1 must stay in Deas Slough – inside the Breakwater.
- Beyond the navigation mark before dawn or at/after dusk.
Delta Outrigger Kanu Association OC-6
The OC-6 - should be equipped with a “dry bag” with a cell phone, a card with the addresses of Deas Regional Park, Riverhouse Marina, and the Rusty Anchor (cards are in the binder in the lock-up)
All OC-1 MUST have a PFD on their person at all times.
- Belong to DOKA
- Be experienced and or had an orientation Be able to get back into the canoe unassisted Post a float plan on the clubhouse white board
- Report broken or damaged equipment to the executive Novices are to paddle close to shore & inside bridge area
- Two or more paddlers may go beyond the bridge
- Two or more paddlers may go beyond the navigation mark at their own risk
Failure to comply may result in member privileges being suspended or revoked.